Have you ever wanted to capture the perfect sunrise or sunset timelapse but didn’t know where to start?
Or how about creating a Hollywood blockbuster-style video for IGTV or YouTube but without the Hollywood budget?
And now that TikTok is taking over the internet, which mobile app is best for creating viral clips?
Look no further – I’ve found the best video editing apps to cover all your content creation needs.
Table of contents
- Best app for storyboarding
- Best app for gathering feedback
- Best app for quick GoPro edits
- Transform photos into animations
- Edit time lapse videos
- Create quick and easy videos
- Create videos optimized for social media
- Easily edit green screen clips
- Edit videos with a 1980s VHS camcorder vibe
- Add fun video filters
- Add Hollywood-like special effects
- Best app for professional level edits
- Best video editing app for groups
- What are your favorite video editing apps?
Best app for storyboarding
Before you even film, much less edit, you need to create a storyboard to outline what you want your video to be like. That’s where Previs Pro editing app for iPhone and iPad comes in.
Getting your concept outlined ahead of time will ensure you get all the shots you need before it comes to post-production, aka video editing.
Previs Pro is free, but you can get expanded capabilities with a monthly, annual, or lifetime subscription.
Best app for gathering feedback
Peer feedback is a great way to improve your skills in any area, even video editing.
With Frame.io, you can edit and post your clips for peer feedback.
Frame.io is a great way to see what you might want to improve before sharing elsewhere or get tips to keep in mind for future videos.
Best app for quick GoPro edits
I’m a huge fan of GoPro cameras and accessories.
I use the GoPro Hero 6 and Hero 8 cameras for most of my on-the-go photography and videography.
The GoPro Quik app is perfect for super busy content creators.
This app can take your footage from throughout the day and automatically create a clip, set it to music, and prep it to share on social media, like YouTube, Instagram, and Facebook.
This app is a lifesaver when you’re on super busy press trips or at an event where you’d rather network than hide away in your hotel room editing a video.
Transform photos into animations
I’m a huge fan of the Enlight suite of photo and video editing apps, as they make next-level editing super simple to do.
Enlight Motionleap is no exception.
Formerly known as Pixaloop, Motionleap lets you add animation to photos with just a tap or two.
With Motionleap, you can make waves splash, skies float by, hair blow in the breeze, and other fun animations.
Motionleap is the app you need to transform meh photos into animated artwork.
P.S. If you love this app, you’ll also love Enlight’s all-in-one editing app, Videoleap, too!
Edit time lapse videos
Hyperlapse makes it super easy to create time lapses.
Created by Instagram, all you have to do is record using the Hyperlapse app, then process it at whatever speed you want.
The app will then spit out a quick and easy time lapse edit.
This is my favorite app to use for sunrise and sunset timelapses.
It’s also a fun way to condense a long video, such as a hike, into a clip that is short enough to grab the attention of people on social media apps like TikTok or Instagram.
Create quick and easy videos
Adobe Spark Video keeps the learning curve small by sticking to slideshow-type clips.
Sure, slideshows aren’t the fanciest type of content, but they’re quick and easy to make!
This app is also great for creating videos for Mediavine, which can help you earn more money through the Mediavine ad program.
If your main type of content is video, you’re going to want to check out InShot.
This app optimizes video for YouTube, TikTok, and Instagram.
Inshot includes basic video editing capabilities, plus filters for color grading and correction, royalty free music. You can also add text and virtual stickers.
Easily edit green screen clips
One of the best chroma key apps for creating green screen clips is Motion Ninja. It can also be used to make animations.
Motion Ninja is free, but has extra features available in the premium version, which is a $20 one-time fee.
Edit videos with a 1980s VHS camcorder vibe
For a kitschy, but fun 80s effect, check out the Rarevision VHS – Retro 80s Cam app.
Recording and editing videos with this app will be like the vacation movies of your youth (if you’re millennial, like me) or an alternate universe in Stranger Things.
This app is perfect for 80s-themed TikTok videos or Instagram Reels!
Add fun video filters
Another fun video editing app that would be perfect for TikTok videos and Instagram reels is Mixatron.
Add Hollywood-like special effects
Add blockbuster-style special effects like laser beams, flash bangs, dragons, sea monsters, and even Star Wars to your videos with the Action Movie FX app.
The best part is that you can get this app for FREE.
You can add extra video effects for a small price, with some packs starting as low as $1.99.
I can totally see some of y’all creating blockbuster-worthy movie trailers for your blogs or to tease big projects!
Best app for professional level edits
Every content creator has a favorite video editing software for their computer. Mine is Adobe Premiere Pro.
When I’m on the go, I can access a lot of the same capabilities in Adobe Premiere Pro with the Adobe Premiere Rush app.
The Adobe Premiere Rush app is free to download and use.
You can export up to 3 files before you have to upgrade to a subscription ($9.99/mo).
What I love about the free version is that you can access ALL of the features so you can truly test out the app to see if it is worth paying for after several projects.
Best video editing app for groups
I’m a huge fan of collaboration over competition.
There’s more than enough room in our industry for us all to succeed, so why not have fun and help each other out at the same time?
You agree? Awesome!
When it comes time to collaborate on a video with your content creator friends, I highly recommend the Storyo app.
With the Storyo app, everyone can share their clips and create a single edit, all within 1 app.
On top of the group editing tools, you can use metadata from each others’ social media accounts to fill out your story.
You can add weather reports, Facebook posts, and stock clips to supplement what you’ve captured on your own.
Storyo is clearly a super fun video editing app for content creators, but also fun for family and friend group trips!
What are your favorite video editing apps?
Once you’re done creating your videos, you’re going to need video thumbnails.
Check out my post on photo editing apps to create fun images for your video thumbnails and promo graphics.
Once you’re done, drop your video links below so we can check out what you’ve created and share the love!
For more travel and tech tips, check out these posts:
- The Best Travel Cameras for Capturing Memories
- 25 Best Paris Travel Apps to Make Your Trip Better
- 5 Best iPhone Travel Journal Apps
This post was originally published on April 8, 2017. It was last updated on November 2, 2022.
- PowerDirector - Best Overall App. Compatibility: Android, iOS. ...
- Promeo - Best App for Social Media. ...
- Adobe Premiere Rush - Best for Creative Cloud Users. ...
- KineMaster - Best for Experienced Editors. ...
- Funimate - Best for Vertical Editing. ...
- InShot - Best for Social Media Content.
|KineMaster||In-built graphics, fonts, stickers, transitions, clipsVoice overs, voice changers, sound effects, background music||66MB|
|VivaVideo||Short video makerIn-built editing effects.||88MB|
|VideoShow||Reduce video size in the app, Easy to use||39MB|
In iMovie on iPhone, iPad, or Mac, you can work with 4k and 60 frames per second (fps) video as long as one of the clips in your project was originally recorded in one of those formats.What do iPhone users use to edit videos? ›
iMovie. iMovie is a part of Apple's own suite of products for iOS (and macOS), and is a great video editor app for iPhone that you can try. While you may want to use a more powerful editing software on your Mac, iMovie is more than capable of handling video editing on the iPhone.Who is the world best editor? ›
|Rank||Name||Worldwide Box Office|
Is iMovie available for Android? No, there's no iMovie on Google Play. The app is only available for iOS and Mac.Which video maker is best? ›
- Lightworks. ...
- DaVinci Resolve. ...
- Clipchamp. ...
- HitFilm. ...
- Shotcut. ...
- VideoPad. ...
- OpenShot. The award-winning free video editing software works for Mac, Windows, or Linux: all video creators are welcome here. ...
- Kdenlive. More open-source video editing software!
- Make Tight Cuts.
- Choose the Best Angles/Takes to Tell the Story.
- Use Wide Shots Sparingly.
- Pay Attention to the Speakers Body Language.
- Edit Out Mistakes.
- Use B-Roll Shots in Sets of Three.
- Use Split Edits.
- Maintain Appropriate Pacing.
- Magisto Video Editor.
- Adobe Premiere Rush.
- Anchor Videos.
- Open your Settings app. To start, open the Settings app on your iPhone's home screen. ...
- Tap on 'Camera' Scroll down the menu until you see the option 'Camera', with its accompanying icon. ...
- Tap on 'Record Video' ...
- Select one of the options to shoot in 4K definition. ...
- Open your camera app, and get filming!
iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max support ProRes video recording in the Camera app at 1080p 30 fps with the 128GB storage option, and up to 4K 30 fps with 256GB, 512GB, and 1TB storage options.Is CapCut good for editing? ›
CapCut is one of the 20 Best Video Editing Apps in 2022, just like KineMaster, except that it's used as the default video editing app for the popular video-sharing platform TikTok.How do I edit an iPhone video like a pro? ›
- Open the Photos app and tap the video that you want to edit.
- Tap Edit.
- Move the sliders on both sides of the video timeline to change the start and stop times. To preview your trimmed video, tap the play button .
- Tap Done, then tap Save Video or Save Video as New Clip.
Apple's iMovie is the go-to choice for iPhone and iPad users. It combines an easy-to-use interface with high performance so that you never sacrifice video quality by using a free video editor.Which app is free for video editing? ›
- Lightworks. The best overall free video editing software. ...
- VideoPad. Best free video editing software for beginners. ...
- HitFilm Express. Simple free video editor with professional visual effects and tutorials. ...
- DaVinci Resolve. Top free video editor for advanced editors. ...
- VSDC Free Video Editor. ...
- OpenShot. ...
- Shotcut. ...
Funimate is the best video editing app you can find on mobile! Join millions of Funimate users who create advanced video edits easily. With Funimate, you'll be able to create PRO edits very quickly with the help of unique and advanced editing features we have.What app do people use to do edits? ›
Google Photos offers basic editing features such as cropping, add-on filters to enhance video aesthetics. If you want to do more with your videos you can use Adobe Premiere Rush, iMovie, Movavi Clips, Quik App, Power Director, etc. Create your video website with Pixpa.Which is the best video editing app for Android without watermark? ›
OpenShot is a powerful free video editor with no watermark that you can use to create professional-level videos. This video editing software features a wide range of editing tools that the pros use every day, such as keyframes, chroma-key effects, transitions, text tools, and more.Who is the highest paid film editor? ›
A good editor will make sure your written document, whether it is an essay, research paper, thesis, book, or other document, is easily understandable and free of errors.Which phones support 4K editing? ›
Best phones with 4K video recording support
- Apple iPhone 13. ...
- Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra 5G. ...
- iQOO 9 SE 5G. ...
- iQOO Neo 6 5G. ...
- OnePlus Nord 2T 5G. ...
- OnePlus Nord CE 2 5G. ...
- Samsung Galaxy A33 5G.
- Step 1: Free download VideoProc Vlogger.
- Step 2: Launch the software, and create a 4K project.
- Step 3: Import your 4K footage.
- Step 4: Split and rough cut.
- Step 5: Further your 4K video with more adjustment.
- Step 6: Preview and export your 4K videos.
- VidTrim Pro.
Google Duo is the highest quality video calling app*. It's simple, reliable, and works on smartphones and iPad, and on the web. Duo works on iPhone, iPad, web, and other mobile platforms so you can call and hangout with friends and family using just one app.Is there a better app than iMovie? ›
- Adobe Premiere Pro.
- Adobe Creative Cloud Express.
- Wondershare Filmora.
- DaVinci Resolve.
- Windows Movie Maker.
- VEGAS Pro.
InShot. InShot is a great and widely-used alternative to iMovie on android smartphones.How can I edit a video like a pro for free? ›
- Blender. Available for Windows, Mac, and Linux. ...
- Lightworks. Available for Windows, Mac, and Linux. ...
- Shotcut. Available for Windows, Mac, and Linux. ...
- DaVinci Resolve. Available for Windows, Mac, and Linux.
- OpenShot. Available for Windows, Mac, and Linux. ...
- Avidemux. ...
- HitFilm Express. ...
- Movavi Video Editor Plus.
- Pinnacle Studio.
- Apple iMovie.
- HitFilm 4 Express.
- Nero Video.
- Choose the Right Software. The first step in improving your video editing process is to choose the right software for you and your work. ...
- Use a Fast Computer. ...
- Watch Video Editing Tutorials. ...
- Get the Project Files. ...
- Obey the 321 Rule. ...
- Edit for a Story. ...
- Maintain an Efficient Workflow. ...
- Utilize Keyboard Shortcuts.
Level of Difficulty, Prerequisites, & Cost
As with many creative skills, it isn't hard to learn the tools involved in video editing. Students can pick up the basic functions of Premiere Pro or Final Cut in only a few days of training, and the advanced techniques will only take a few weeks to learn.
Every video maker includes the 321 rule. This means that you should always keep three copies of every single thing that you make in two different places. You have one goal – to tell your audience a great story with your video. This can be achieved if you simply edit, edit and edit your content until perfection.What are the six basic steps to video editing? ›
- Logging. The dailies or rushes are sorted and labelled in 'bins'. ...
- First Assembly. ...
- Rough Cut and Variations. ...
- First Cut. ...
- Fine Cut. ...
- Final Cut.
Filmic Remote Filmic Inc. Photo Editor Pro - Square Pic Photo Editor Perfect Corp. Picture Scan App by Photomyne Photomyne Ltd. HD Camera for Android: XCamera Simple Design Ltd.Is CapCut the best editing app? ›
CapCut is one of the 20 Best Video Editing Apps in 2022, just like KineMaster, except that it's used as the default video editing app for the popular video-sharing platform TikTok.What is the best free video editing app in the world? ›
Splice. Splice is one of the most popular free video editing apps available for iPhone and Android users. It's simple to learn, due to its intuitive interface. With Splice, you can add slow-motion effects, trim clips, and overlay multiple clips in just a few taps.Which is the No 1 short video app? ›
1. Instagram. Instagram provides the short video feature in its app, and it is known as Instagram reels. On Instagram, you can make 30 seconds reel in which you can edit your video content and share it with your friends.Is CapCut or InShot better? ›
CapCut is a good place to start if you use TikTik and want to up your game there, but you can export your videos and upload them anywhere. InShot has been around forever, first as a photo editing app and now as a video editing app. It lets you do the basics for free, but be prepared for on screen ads.What's better iMovie or CapCut? ›
We're not saying you should immediately dump CapCut for Adobe Premiere Pro, but Editors' Choice pick iMovie does a superior job of balancing ease of use and enthusiast-level capabilities; it's also free on Mac and iOS.Why is CapCut so popular? ›
CapCut has a mobile-friendly interface and offers some great features to enhance your videos, like auto-captioning and removing background colors for a green screen effect.
Answer: TikTok has been the most downloaded app, and it is indeed the most used app so far, closely followed by Instagram, Facebook, and WhatsApp. Q #3) How many users are on TikTok? Answer: TikTok has over 1 billion active users worldwide.What is the #1 app in the world? ›