In this article, I will show you how to deploy Citrix Workspace App using SCCM (ConfigMgr). We’ll download the latest version of the Citrix app, create an application in SCCM, and deploy it to Windows devices.
With the help of Citrix Workspace app, you can access your desktops and applications from a remote client device using Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops. Citrix Workspace App is available for Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, Chrome etc. Citrix Workspace can be installed and used on PCs, tablets, and thin clients that are both domain-joined and not.
If you are looking for the difference between Citrix Workspace and the Citrix Workspace app, here is the answer: Citrix Workspace app is a new client from Citrix that works similar to Citrix Receiver and is fully backward-compatible with your organization’s Citrix infrastructure. Citrix Workspace app provides the full capabilities of Citrix Receiver, as well as new capabilities based on your organization’s Citrix deployment.
There are several ways to deploy the Citrix Workspace App, including Group Policy, Microsoft Intune, and others. The simplest way to deploy Citrix Workspace is through SCCM.
Citrix Workspace App System Requirements
Before you deploy Citrix Workspace app using SCCM, please ensure the devices meet the system requirements.
- Citrix Workspace app requires a minimum of 1 GB RAM.
- .NET Framework 4.6.2
- Disk space: Around 600 MB (The Citrix installer does the check on the disk space only after extracting the installation package).
- Operating System: Windows 10, Windows 11 as well as Windows Server 2022, 2019, 2016.
Citrix reserves the right to modify the system requirements as new Workspace app versions are released. I recommend checking the latest system requirements of the Workspace app in the Citrix product documentation.
Download Citrix Workspace App for SCCM
Before we perform Citrix Workspace app deployment using SCCM, I will show you how to get the latest version of the installer. To download the latest version of Citrix Workspace App for windows, go to Citrix Workspace App downloads page. Download the CitrixWorkspaceApp.exe and save the executable to the Sources folder on SCCM server for deployment. There is no MSI installer available for Citrix Workspace app, you have to use the executable file for deployment.
Create Citrix Workspace App using SCCM
We will now go through the steps to create Citrix Workspace App using SCCM:
- Launch the SCCM console.
- Navigate to Software Library > Overview > Application Management > Applications.
- Right-click Applications and select Create Application.
On theGeneralwindow, selectManually specify the application informationand clickNext.
Specify the Workspace application details such as name of the application, administrator comments, Publisher information, software version etc. The application details that you specify here will be visible in Software Center for users. ClickNext.
In this step, we specify the Citrix Workspace application icon for Software Center. Adding an icon to the application can be optional, but doing so makes it easier for users to recognize it. On theSoftware Centerpage, clickBrowseand select an icon for the Workspace application. ClickNext.
On theDeployment Typespage, click theAddbutton to add a new deployment type for Workspace software. At this point, you can read this useful guide onSupported Deployment Types for Applications in SCCM. ClickNextto continue.
On theGeneralwindow of Create deployment type wizard, selectManually specify the deployment type information. ClickNext.
Specify the content location which is the actual folder path where you have the Workspace app installer.
Next we specify the silent install and uninstall commands for Citrix Workspace app.
- Citrix Workspace App Install Command – CitrixWorkspaceApp.exe /silent
- Citrix Workspace App Uninstall Command – CitrixWorkspaceApp.exe /uninstall /silent
Configuration Manager allows you to create multiple detection rules to detect the presence of an application on the computer. If the detection method finds the application is already present, the Configuration Manager won’t re-deploy the same application.
Let’s add a new detection method for Citrix Workspace application in SCCM. To add a new detection method, clickAdd Clause. On theDetection Rulewindow, create a rule with the following settings.
- Setting type: File System
- Type: File
- Path: %ProgramFiles(x86)%\Citrix\ICA Client\Receiver\
- File or Folder Name: receiver.exe
- Property: Version
- Operator: Greater than or equal to
- Value: 22.214.171.124
After you specify the above detection method details, clickOKto continue with the Create Deployment Wizard.
Specify the user experience settings for Citrix Workspace application. I have configured the following settings in the below example.
- Installation behavior: Install for system.
- Logon requirement: Whether or not a user is logged on.
- Installation program visibility: Hidden.
You can specify the requirements for deploying the Citrix Workspace application with SCCM. This is completely optional, and you can define the requirements even after creating the application. ClickNext.
Review the application settings in theSummarywindow and clickNextand onCompletionwindow, clickClose.
Review the application deployment settings and close theCreate Application Wizard. This completes the steps to create Citrix Workspace application in SCCM. In the next step, we will deploy the Workspace application to a device collection and verify if the installation works correctly on client computers.
Deploy Citrix Workspace App using SCCM
We will now deploy the Citrix Workspace app using SCCM to a device collection. For testing the application deployment, I advise building a device collection with a set of pilot devices. After confirming that the application was successfully installed, you can extend the deployment in Configuration Manager to additional device collections.
To create device collections in SCCM for Windows devices, you can use the following guides:
- Create Windows 10 device collection in SCCM
- Create Windows 11 device collections in Configuration Manager
- To deploy the Workspace application in SCCM console, go toSoftware Library>Application Management>Application. Right-click Citrix Workspace application and selectDeploy. ClickBrowseand select the device collection to which you want to deploy the application. ClickNext.
- On theContentpage, clickAddbutton andspecify the distribution pointsto which you would like to distribute the Workspace application content. You may also select distribution point groups. ClickNextto continue.
- On theDeployment Settingswindow, specify the settings to control the deployment. Select theActionasInstallandPurposeasAvailable. Refer to the following post to understand thedifference between Available and Required deployment in SCCM. ClickNext.
- While deploying the application, Configuration Manager lets you schedule the deployment of the application. You can deploy the application as soon as possible or schedule it to be available at a specific date and time. Choose whether you want to schedule the application deployment, pick the options based on your requirements, and clickNext.
- Specify user experience settings for installation of this application. ClickNext.
- Close theDeploy Software Wizard. The Citrix Workspace application is now distributed to the DP, and the client machines should now have the new application listed in the Software Center. Workspace App deployment is now complete. We will test the installation of the application in the next section.
Test Workspace App Deployment on Client Computers
In this step, we will verify if the Citrix Workspace application deployment works correctly on the client computers. If you don’t see the Workspace application listed in Software Center, you can download Computer Policy and run theEvaluate Application Deploymentsactions on client PC. Take a look at all the availableConfiguration Manager client actions.
Log in to a client computer, andlaunch the Software center. Click on theApplicationstab and select the Citrix Workspace App and on the application details page, clickInstall. The application is now downloaded from the local distribution point server for installation.
You can monitor the Workspace application installation progress by opening theAppEnforce.log. To know the location of this file and other files, refer to theSCCM Log files. Matched exit code 0 to a Success entry in the exit codes tableconfirms that the Workspace app deployment is successful.
The uninstall command that we specified during application packaging should work fine. The Workspace app deployment worked fine, but to complete the installation, it requires a system restart. You may click Restart and once the system reboots, you can start using the Citrix app.
- Deploy Remote Desktop Client using SCCM
- Customize and Deploy Adobe Acrobat Reader using SCCM
- Deploy Foxit PDF Editor using ConfigMgr
- Simple Guide to Deploy Slack using ConfigMgr
- Easy Steps to Deploy Support Center using SCCM
- How to Deploy Dropbox using SCCM